Wednesday

But Why?

My friend's teenage son came to the house yesterday. He stood in the doorway with his mate. They both have floppy metro-sexual haircuts. His friend wasn't wearing any shoes. There were wet sock marks on the slate where he stood.
"We found a buzzard"
"We think it's dying"
"What do you want me to do about it?"
"Dunno... catch it?"

On the way through the fields I berated the friend for wearing socks with no shoes. I was bare foot. I couldn't find any socks. I kept getting thorns in my feet. When the boys laughed their voice boxes made kind of booming sounds.
We found the buzzard where they'd left it. I wrapped it in an Emirates Airlines blanket and picked it up. It's beak was wide open and it's tongue was stuck out.
"Doesn't look too good does it?"
"Told you"
I put it in the box. It didn't look good in there either.
"What do you want me to do with it now?"
"Dunno... take it home"
"Yeah. We don't want it. We're camping"
I told them what I thought of them and left them in the field.
Back at the house my sister and her sons were picking peas.
"Look at this"
"What is it?"
"Hello uncle Willy"
"Hello Maxy"
"What is it?"
"It's a buzzard in a box"
"Why?"
Dad came over. He'd been clearing and resetting the mouse traps in the pea bed. He had a mouse by the tail.
"Try feeding it this"
We all crowded around the box, six heads looking down at the buzzard. He really didn't look happy. Dad dropped the mouse in. The buzzard just glared at us.
My sister went into the house and came back with a knife and a chopping board.
"Maybe it needs to have cut-up mouse"
She started cutting up the mouse. Her husband stopped the building work he'd been doing and walked over.
"Try skinning it"
Everyone crowded around the mouse. I got some water for the buzzard. Then I tried to feed it a bit of mouse. It still just glared.
"I'm going to put it in the shed"
"Put the blanket over the box"
"OK"

That night I lifted the blanket and opened the box. The buzzard looked much more comfortable. His beak was closed and his tongue no longer stuck out. I closed the box again.

This morning mum and I took the box into the field by the house. It was raining steadily. The sky was gray, black over the mountains. I opened the box and the buzzard stood up. It turned and glared at me again, then it stretched it's winds and flew off. It circled a couple of times, screaming. We shielded our eyes against the rain and watched it fly into the woods.
"That was good" I said to mum.
"Yeah" she said. Then we walked back to the house.

No comments: